Show Side Menu
To view, print or save our practice booklet, click here
Important information to keep you safe while isolating at home
Patient Access & Accessibility
Friends & Family Test
Call 111 - When it is less urgent than 999


What to do in time of Bereavement

If someone dies at home and their death was expected; call your GP.

If the death was expected, for example due to a terminal illness, in most instances the GP will issue a medical certificate of the cause of death to allow the death to be registered at the Register Office. A Death Certificate will then be provided. The death certificate will be issued by the GP who last saw the patient within the previous two week period. If a GP did not see the patient within the two week period prior to death, then the death may need to be referred to the coroner. Having spoken with the GP practice and when you feel ready to do so, you can contact a funeral director.

If someone dies at home unexpectedly; call 111 immediately and ask for advice. 

An unexpected death may need to be reported to a coroner. A coroner is a doctor or lawyer responsible for investigating unexpected deaths. They may call for a post-mortem or inquest to find out the cause of death. This may take some time, and so the funeral may need to be delayed.

If someone dies in hospital; the hospital will usually issue a medical certificate and formal notice. They will support you with the next steps you need to take. The body will usually be kept in the hospital mortuary until the funeral directors or relatives arrange a chapel of rest, or for the body to be taken home.

If someone dies abroad; you must register the death according to the regulations of the country. Register it with the British Consul in the country too, so you can get a consulate death certificate and a record can be kept in the UK.

In all cases of death, an appointment must be made at the register office. To register a death, please telephone:

  • Pontefract    01977 722670
  • Wakefield    01924 302185
  • Barnsley    01226 773555

Please take the green form to the funeral director who will then discuss funeral arrangements with you.

Local Services, Let